Another fresh salsa? That’s right! I’ve made it my personal mission to experiment with fresh salsa recipes throughout the year as different ingredients are in season. This one, made with beautiful ripe strawberries, has early summer written all over it.
Fresh salsas are a great way to experiment with raw in-season fruits and vegetables, especially when you’re looking to use them up quickly without putting in much effort. The formula is really simple:
- Choose a seasonal fruit or vegetable as the main ingredient – something sweet or tart with a lightly crunchy or soft and juicy texture that holds its shape as small dice;
- Pair with chopped cucumber, tomato, avocado or another mild-tasting fruit or vegetable for bulk;
- Stir in chopped onion, jalapeño, cilantro and a generous squeeze of fresh lime juice. Done!
The beauty of fresh salsa is that you can’t mess it up. That’s why it’s my go-to potluck dish time and time again. It doesn’t really matter if the pieces are too big or unevenly shaped, or you used a little more of one ingredient and a little less of another. Have lemons but not limes? Cherry tomatoes instead of regular tomatoes? No cilantro on hand? That’s fine too! Just throw everything in a nice looking bowl, open a bag of tortilla chips and serve.
Like the mango cucumber salsa and watermelon tomato salsa I posted last summer, this one is also made primarily with fruit but is totally savoury. Who knew sweet, juicy strawberries and creamy avocado would pair so well with onion, cilantro and spicy jalapeños?
Serve this sweet-tart strawberry avocado salsa as an appetizer with tortilla chips or as a topping for grilled chicken. This batch was my contribution to a friend’s barbecue potluck last weekend. It was meant as an appetizer, but we discovered it’s also good on hot dogs!
To use up any leftovers you might have, toss the salsa with cooked quinoa and serve over shredded lettuce. Top with some crumbled feta cheese to round it out.
How will you be enjoying strawberries this summer?
- 1 medium avocado, finely diced
- 2 cups finely diced strawberries
- 1/2 Spanish onion, finely diced
- 1 jalapeno, finely diced
- 1/2 bunch fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- Juice of 1 lime
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Combine the avocado, strawberries, onion, jalapeno, cilantro and lime juice in a medium bowl. Toss gently to combine; season with salt and pepper. Serve immediately.