Today feels like a sandwich day. You know, one of those regular old, run-of-the-mill days where anything fancier or more involved than a sandwich would feel out of place.
Sandwiches are easy and classic, but that doesn’t mean they have to be boring. (And believe me, I know a little something about boring sandwiches. White bread and Kraft Singles was my jam as a kid until I was, like, 14. Former picky eater here, nice to meet you!)
Anyway, this sandwich–a savoury medley of peaches, mozzarella cheese and fresh basil leaves between whole grain flax bread–is far from blah. It’s laid back but still full of fresh summer flavours and satisfying textures. Oh, and of course ooey gooey mozzarella cheese. It’s like what the sad cheese sandwiches of my youth wished they could be!
If putting peaches in a sandwich sounds strange to you, think of them more like tomatoes. With all the other savoury flavours going on, they aren’t overly sweet or dessert-y in the least. They actually have a somewhat meaty texture which pairs nicely with the soft grainy bread and silky cheese.
For those who can’t really get behind a meatless sandwich, this recipe would also be great with a slice or two of smoked prosciutto or a couple of strips of crispy bacon. I wasn’t feeling it at the time I made this but definitely encourage it if you feel so inclined! Keep things on the lighter side by using just a little. The peaches really are the star here, anyway.
That being said, the peaches can certainly be substituted for other stone fruits such as nectarines or plums. Whatever is in your fruit bowl works!
- 4 slices whole grain flax bread
- 1 large peach, pitted and sliced
- 4 oz sliced mozzarella cheese
- 8 basil leaves
- Canola oil spray
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Pre-heat a skillet or grill pan over medium heat. Lightly spray one side of each slice of bread with canola oil. Place oiled side down on a board or plate and layer the mozzarella, peaches and basil leaves on top of two of the slices; season with salt and pepper. Top each with another slice of bread, oiled side up. Transfer to the skillet or grill pan and cook, pressing down with a spatula, until golden brown on one side, about 2 minutes. Flip, cooking until the other side is golden brown and the cheese is melted, about 2 minutes more. Serve immediately.