Let’s hear it for beans! Ok, maybe that was a little overenthusiastic. But hear me out: beans are a nutritious and super versatile whole food just begging for a spot on your plate. The best thing about them (other than their stellar health profile) is that they can be incorporated into pretty much any type of dish – from soups, stews and chili to curries, tacos, stir-fries and more. You really can’t get bored when it comes to beans!
Beans can be used in so many different ways, but sometimes nothing beats a straightforward, fresh and tasty bean salad. The beauty of this white bean, parsley and lemon salad recipe is that it comes together practically instantly. Just open a can of beans, rinse them under cold water and then toss them in a bowl with fresh herbs–which are frankly growing like weeds this time of year!–and some extra-virgin olive oil and seasonings. Done like dinner in two minutes flat!
White kidney beans have a pleasant neutral taste and deliciously creamy texture that goes well with parsley’s strong grassy flavour. If you’re not a huge fan of the herb, especially when used in such large amounts, simply use less to your taste. (Or, if you’re like me and can’t get enough, you’ll probably dig this Middle Eastern-inspired red quinoa tabbouleh – it’s loaded with parsley!)
Are you a fan of beans? What was the last dish you made that incorporated them?
- 2 19-oz (540 mL) cans white kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/3 bunch fresh flat-leaf parsley, roughly chopped
- 1/2 small red onion, finely chopped, soaked in cold water for 10 minutes before using
- Juice and zest of 1 lemon
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Add all the ingredients to a medium bowl, seasoning to taste, and toss to combine. Refrigerate for 30 minutes before serving.