This week has been a watermelon extravaganza in our house. I’m talking juicy, refreshing watermelon at just about every meal – breakfast, lunch and dinner!
One huge watermelon goes a long way with just two adults to feed, so we got creative and enjoyed it every which way: fresh slices as an after dinner snack, diced and tossed with tomatoes to make a salsa (watch for the recipe coming soon), chopped and dressed with crushed nuts and fresh herbs, even blended into a refreshing chilled drink. And the more watermelon we ate, the more we craved. It was a vicious (and delicious) cycle!
In addition to having watermelon on the brain lately, I’ve been a bit of a slacker as far as blogging goes. The past several weekends we’ve been busy with cottage trips, weekend getaways, home renovations, weddings, family visits (including meeting our teeny tiny little nephew for the first time!) and other fun stuff. This is all well and good, of course, but it leaves very little time for my “second” job – blogging!
Weekends are the only time I can do a full photo shoot with natural light. (The one rare exception was when I shot these banh mi veggie dogs on a weeknight after work. Only in July!) Back in April when I launched this new blog, I committed to posting twice per week at the very least, and I’ve managed to stick to it up until two weeks ago. Sorry friends! Let’s call this my summer vacation :)
The good news is, I’ve had tons of time to brainstorm new summer recipe ideas, and this gloriously fresh, cooling watermelon salad was just one of them!
So back to the watermelon. I love using sweet foods like fruits in savoury dishes, and watermelon is really good at making the switch. It’s a bit sweet, sure, but is able to jive with salty, rich, herbal and even spicy flavours.
This watermelon and feta salad recipe is very light and refreshing (perfect for a hot day!) but also provides some filling protein from the feta cheese along with healthy fats from the pumpkin seeds. It’s great as a side dish to serve with anything grilled, including fish, chicken, beef or tofu, but also makes a great light lunch.
What side dishes are you cooking up this summer?
- 1 small, ripe seedless watermelon, rind removed, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/4 cup raw hulled pumpkin seeds
- Leaves from 2 sprigs fresh mint, roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp wine vinegar
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- In a large bowl, combine the watermelon, feta, pumpkin seeds and mint; toss gently to combine. Add the olive oil and vinegar, season with salt and pepper and toss carefully once more. Transfer to a serving platter or bowl and serve immediately.
- This salad can be enjoyed chilled or at room temperature.