It’s a good thing I shot these photos before leaving for a business trip last week because a) I’m way overdue for a new recipe post; and b) the strange cold/chills I contracted on the trip back has made food prep and styling the least appealing thing in the world right now!
Right now it’s chicken noodle soup, but once I build my strength back up the first thing I’ll want to eat is a hearty, nutrient-rich salad. This recipe would be perfect for summer when tomatoes and cucumbers are in season, but I had all of the ingredients on hand last week and couldn’t resist.
Given its Mediterranean feel, this layered lentil salad would pair well with mains like grilled or steamed fish or chicken skewers. Or make it a vegetarian meal by throwing in some pitas, hummus, tabbouleh and a bowl of olives.
- 1 19-oz (540-mL) can lentils, rinsed and drained
- 2 large tomatoes, diced
- 1 English cucumber, diced
- 2 cups shredded romaine lettuce
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/3 cup homemade red wine vinaigrette salad dressing (recipe here: http://www.ricottaandradishes.com/dressings-sauces-and-condiments/homemade-red-wine-vinaigrette/)
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- In a large, clear bowl layer the romaine, tomatoes, lentils and cucumber one at a time so that you can see each individual layer. Pour the dressing over the salad, top with crumbled feta and season with salt and pepper. Serve immediately.
- This salad can be made ahead. If doing so, do not add the dressing until you're ready to serve.