Hey there, you! I hope summer has been treating you well so far. If you’ve had a chance to enjoy the outdoors, some good eats and fun times with friends and family, then you’re off to a great start. The best part? There’s still several weeks left to go! Ahh.
It’s been a few weeks since I’ve posted something new. This wasn’t planned…time just kind of passed by and things got ridiculously busy, especially at home as we’ve been putting the finishing touches on our house. (I’ve been saying this for months now, but it really is in the final stages at this point!)
Now it’s already late July and I have a notebook filled with healthy, fresh summer recipes that have yet to see the light of day, let alone be photographed, edited and written up. I’m officially a summer slacker on the blogging front!
Time to get back on track. Today I bring you a nutritious salad recipe that features three of summer’s most delicious fresh ingredients: peaches, tomatoes and corn. There’s also some avocado in there for good measure (healthy fats are always a hit in salads), and leftover shredded chicken which provides lean protein to round out the meal. This grilled peach, corn and avocado chicken salad is definitely one you’ll want to try within the next couple of weeks while the main ingredients are ripe for the picking!
As for that gorgeously creamy dressing? It’s made from nothing more than protein-rich Greek yogurt, green onions, fresh cilantro, bright lime juice and a little salt. That’s right: five ingredients (if salt even counts as an ingredient!), five seconds and a blender are all you need. Click through to get the Greek yogurt lime dressing recipe which I posted yesterday, and then scroll down for the salad deets. You’ll be happy to know that if you buy seasonally, you probably have some of the ingredients on hand already.
The corn, peaches and avocado were all grilled before being added to the salad. Grilled corn is a summer staple (don’t you love that caramelized flavour when the kernels get slightly blackened?), but cooking the avocado and peaches on the grill was more like experimentation for me. Happily, both fruits are barbecue-friendly and need only a couple of minutes on the grill before nice char marks form. The peaches get ever-so-slightly cooked from the heat, gaining an even sweeter flavour and more supple texture. I left the tomatoes raw because they were really nice, perfectly ripe ones (no mealy refrigerator texture here!) and I didn’t want to mess with them too much. Also, with sweet peaches in the mix, the acidity of fresh tomato was a nice contrast.
I think I’ve found my summer salad fling <3. Try it out and let me know if you feel the same!
What summery eats have you enjoyed so far this month?
- Greek yogurt lime dressing (recipe here: http://www.ricottaandradishes.com/dressings-sauces-and-condiments/greek-yogurt-lime-dressing/)
- Olive oil spray
- 2 medium ears of corn, husks and silks removed
- 1 large ripe peach, halved and pitted
- 1 small avocado, halved, skin left on
- 1 medium ripe tomato, sliced into wedges
- 2 cups cooked shredded rotisserie chicken
- 1 head lettuce (such as romaine, red leaf, iceberg), torn into bite-sized pieces
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Pre-heat a barbecue or grill pan over medium-high heat. Spray the corn with oil and grill, rotating every few minutes until charred on all sides, about 10 minutes total. Let cool and cut kernels off with a sharp knife. While the corn is cooking, spray the peaches and avocado with oil and grill, cut sides down, until grill marks form, about 3 minutes. Let cool and slice the peaches into wedges. Score the avocado flesh into strips or cubes with a knife and scoop out with a spoon. Arrange the lettuce on a plate and top with the grilled corn, peaches and avocado, tomato wedges and cooked chicken. Season salad with salt and pepper. Top with Greek yogurt dressing and serve immediately.
- The vegetables and fruit can be grilled ahead of time and stored in the refrigerator in airtight containers or plastic bags.