Can you think of anything less Easter-y than a fresh blanket of snow? Me neither! Yet here’s what it looks like outside my house RIGHT NOW:
Blah! It’ll be gone before we know it, but I can’t help but feel bad for the little robins who just showed up a few days ago.
Easter was pretty low key for us this year. Usually we spend the long weekend with family but decided to stay home to paint our living room (me) and study for engineering qualifying exams (him).
Amidst all the activity, though, I did manage to find time to decorate Easter eggs! Four in total, the perfect amount for two egg salad wraps.
If you painted eggs this weekend and have a bunch left over (hard-boiled, that is), whip up a batch of egg salad. This recipe has tons of flavour thanks to the warming curry powder, fresh cilantro and bright lime juice, so it’s a bit more interesting than your standard egg salad. I used mayo in this recipe, but try Greek yogurt for some extra protein and a lighter, tangier taste.
This curried egg salad is great served as a sandwich or wrap, or spooned into crisp lettuce cups or mini whole grain pita pockets for something different. This recipe would also work as a filling for tea sandwiches as part of a wedding or baby shower spread.
Did you paint Easter eggs this year? How do you use up the leftovers?
- 4 hard-boiled eggs, peeled
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup low-fat mayonnaise or Greek yogurt
- Juice of ½ lime
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Whole grain tortillas, lettuce leaves and thinly sliced radishes, for serving
- In a medium bowl, combine the eggs, curry powder, cilantro, green onion, mayo or Greek yogurt and lime juice. Mash with a fork until evenly combined but still chunky. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Divide equally among two whole grain tortillas, top with lettuce and radishes and serve immediately.