This might seem like a strange topping combination. Chicken and goat cheese, sure, but radishes on a flatbread? It’s a little unexpected because radishes are usually used raw, but it totally works!
The idea came from a haphazardly thrown together batch of nachos I made a few nights before. We had leftover rotisserie chicken that needed to be used up along with half a bag of tortilla chips and some extra vegetables – namely radishes and watercress from this photo shoot.
It was a heavier dish thanks to the chips (can’t win ’em all), but the combination of chicken and radishes was really tasty so I wanted to try it out in flatbread form.
I used a store-bought, pre-baked whole grain flatbread for this recipe for the convenience factor. You could also use an extra-large pita, pizza crust or naan for this recipe. The point is that it’s a quick weeknight dinner that’s reminiscent of pizza without being loaded in cheese (like my nachos!).
The sprinkling of watercress at the end is similar to how arugula is used on an Italian-style pizza – a classic topping that adds nutrients and great flavour and texture. Just be sure to let the flatbread cool a bit before adding the watercress or else it’ll wilt.
And yes, this recipe features ricotta and radishes – a complete and total (but quite fitting) fluke! Really, they are a great pair – see these ricotta and radish mini bagels for another super simple take on my fave ingredient combo. Goat cheese is the starring cheese in this recipe, but the ricotta acts as a creamy, tangy base for the other ingredients.
What’s your favourite unconventional pizza/flatbread topping?
- 1 store-bought pre-baked flatbread (or pizza crust)
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 cup cooked shredded chicken
- 1/3 cup crumbled goat cheese
- 1 small bunch radishes, thinly sliced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup watercress, roughly chopped
- Pre-heat oven to 400F. Place flatbread on a baking sheet and use a spatula to spread an even layer of ricotta on top; season with salt and pepper. Top with the chicken, goat cheese and radishes. Transfer to the oven and bake until crust is lightly golden and the goat cheese is softened, 10-15 minutes. Remove from oven, let cool slightly and sprinkle watercress on top.