How cute is this little guy? Nothing beats a cheese ball for any holiday gathering, but it’s even more fun when shaped like a festive gingerbread man!
Full disclosure: I didn’t make this appetizer! If only I were that creative. Instead, I took a photo of my colleague Katherine’s appetizer from our office Christmas potluck last year, and she was kind enough to let me feature it on my blog. Thanks Katherine!
I had made a lightened up version of a party cheese ball for a friend’s birthday party back in October and knew that I wanted to feature it on my blog during the holidays. So I included that recipe (adapted from the Kraft website) along with instructions for how to create Katherine’s gingerbread man shape.
I used light cream cheese, which makes it softer and easier to scoop with crackers or vegetables. It’s also lighter in calories than full fat cream cheese.
- 2 pkg (8 oz each) plain light cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 tbsp finely chopped red peppers
- 1 tbsp finely chopped green onions
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup pecans
- Transfer 2 tbsp cream cheese to a piping bag or plastic bag with hole snipped in the corner and set aside. Beat remaining cream cheese and cheddar in a small bowl with a mixer until well blended. Add the peppers, onions and mustard; mix well. Refrigerate until firm, about 30 mins. Form into a gingerbread man shape and carefully transfer to a serving platter. Decorate with pecans and the use the piping bag to draw a gingerbread man outline and face. Serve with crackers and vegetable sticks.