If there’s one thing I dig about the holiday season, it’s…wait for it…appetizers! You thought I was going to say gifts, didn’t you? Well I suppose those are pretty great, too. But back to the food!
There are so many little get-togethers going on during December that you pretty much need to have at least two or three quick, easy recipes up your sleeve at all times. Whether the event is impromptu or planned, formal or laid back, any holiday gathering benefits from a selection of smaller bites. The best part: many of the best apps can be made in 5 minutes flat! (Just check out this smoked salmon platter if you don’t believe me.)
These antipasto-inspired skewers with olives, hot salami and mozzarella cheese are about as simple and basic as you can get. You just thread one of each ingredient onto thin skewers or decorative cocktail picks, arrange on a nice platter and serve.
I pulled the recipe and photos from my old blog as the photos were reasonably up to snuff! Try them when you’re feeling a little lazy but want a fun, unfussy snack to bring to your next party. Also very good is their closely related cousin, the caprese salad skewer (made with cherry tomatoes, bocconcini and fresh basil).
What appetizers do you plan on serving this holiday season?
- 1 375-mL jar pimiento-stuffed green olives
- 1/2 package (~250 g) mozzarella cheese, diced
- 2 packages (~250 g) sliced salami such as hot calabrese or genoa salami
- Small wooden skewers or cocktail picks
- Thread each skewer with a piece of salami, an olive and a cube of mozzarella. Arrange on a serving platter.
- Bocconcini (fresh mozzarella balls) would also work well with this recipe!